Sunday, February 18, 2007

Netflix

We succumbed to temptation last week and signed up for Netflix. We bought into the one movie at a time unlimited package. It’s cheaper than going to blockbuster and we don’t have to wait in-line for an insane amount of time on Saturday nights. Also we won’t be spending two hours each time we go the rental place to choose a movie an hour and half long. We do try pretty hard to stay away from over consumption but it really is about the only way to watch foreign films and art house productions. Plus our local rental store always makes me feel that I should be packing.
So we watched a couple of good movies recently. “Over the hedge”: an adult movie in cartoon clothes. I don’t think that kids would get half the jokes in that production. This is making me think that when I have children going to Disney flicks might actually be fun. The Nazi like condo manager was as good of a social satire as mainstream fare gets. The second one is “Ma vie en rose” (My life in pink). Here we have a little boy who is convinced that a little girl is trapped inside his body. Very funny movie. Very scary too for someone who plans on having kids one day. I don’t mind gay people but I have never thought how I would act if my son/daughter turned out that way. If you know, share the wealth.
We also watched “Crash,” at the future in-laws. It did live up to most of the hype. I found the photography to be absolutely gorgeous. I also found this incredibly funny. I did get enraged with some of the characters. If I were to get pulled over by a cop (actually I have been twice) I wouldn’t start mouthing off. The more so if I got pulled over by the LAPD. (I remember going there some years ago and seeing “LAPD – We’ll treat you like a King!,” T-shirts on sale on Hollywood Boulevard.) All the characters are stereotypes and so of course they all ring true. I think the moral of the story is don’t be stupid and people can change. I am no film critique though.
Sur ce, I need to go file my nails.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger mr_roots said...

hey. i think ma vie is great. it somehow manages to put you right on side with Ludo. we're creating a stage show at the young vic but not trying to make out that he's gay. it's more that he feels something's wrong about him... that he just should be a girl. drop me a line if you want to know more about the show.

5:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home